We know how lucky we are to live and work in the South West, a region renowned for its spectacular coastline and dramatic moors. It also boasts a fantastic selection of educational attractions, so teachers are spoilt for choice when planning an inspirational trip within easy distance of their school.
With ideas, venues, transport and advice all in one place, TeachOut is the most comprehensive resource for educational trips in Devon, Cornwall and Dorset.
Here are TeachOut's Top Tips to help increase your footfall of schools and organisations for educational visits:
1. Is there an educational centre or can you offer any resources which the teachers can use to help plan their day trip or residential visit? You may have a well-informed Education Ranger who's brilliant with children, who can bring the topic to life and make it a trip that they will always remember - let them know!
2. Risk assessments. How suitable is the venue for schools and will it suit all students? Many schools have to take special needs requirements into consideration and will need to know if you have facilities and resources to help with this. If you can offer any help with the risk assessment forms, insurance arrangements or any other service to help with this - often lengthy - planning process, remember to let the schools know in advance.
3. What topics or subjects does your attraction cover? On teachout.co.uk you can search by keyword, topic and/or curriculum subject to allow teachers to narrow their selection to those which offer, say, Roman history or beaches. Make sure you highlight these on the website and on any marketing materials to schools.
4. Can you offer any discounts or include transport options to keep costs down? Can you offer any extra incentives such as providing picnic lunches or free pre-visits?
5. Is your venue accredited by the Council of Outdoor Learning (LOtC) or any other Quality Badge? Let teachers know, as this makes it easier for anyone organising educational visits to gain approval and provides assurance that their chosen destination has met six nationally recognised quality indicators.
6. Finally, if your educational offering has won any awards, or had a brilliant writeup in the media or received a glowing testimonial from another school, then shout about it! Teachers are much more likely to book a trip to somewhere new if another teacher has recommended it.
To find out more about TeachOut and to get your venue listed on www.teachout.co.uk, please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also download our media pack.